Tuesday, March 10, 2009

These Shoes Are Made For Matching ... Really

One day I noticed that my coworker was wearing two different shoes. And not just a little bit different, but different in a very obvious way: One was black and the other brown, one had a tassel and the other didn't. Clearly different.

And sure, perhaps the nice thing to do would have been to ignore it and let him figure it out on his own. But I'm sorry -- if you wear two different shoes to work, you deserve to be made fun of.

"Coworker?" I said, smiling nicely because I really am just trying to poke fun, not to be malicious. "Are you wearing two different shoes?"

He looks down, blushes, and then sets his jaw and looks back up at me.

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are!"

"No. They're supposed to be this way."

"That can't be right. One is black and the other is brown! That one has a tassel and the other doesn't!"

"I know it seems that way, but they really are supposed to go together."

By this point it wasn't about the shoes anymore. It was about me being completely incredulous that this guy just wouldn't laugh about it and admit his mistake. I had witnesses. I had TRUTH on my side. But that guy stood his ground, mismatched shoes and all. What a dork.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would find it hilarious if I accidently wore two different shoes. I guess some people just lack the ability to laugh at themselves.

Or is it funnier that he'd wear shoes with tassles to begin with?

JMS said...

Hello, my name is Jennifer and I am an admitted wearer of mis-matched shoes. I have done this TWICE in the last 5 months! Embarrassing though it was, I was able to find the funny in the "aw shit" moment.

1) I get dressed in the dark. No, really - I do. I felt under my bed in a bin where I toss all my shoes and grabbed two shoes I knew to be identical by feel. Didn't think about color! Didn't occur to me that I have 2 PAIRS of the SAME shoe; one black pair and one brown pair. I wore one color on each foot.

2) Again, remember I dress in the dark. I reached under my bed into the shoe bin and grabbed two black shoes (couldn't really tell, though) that I thought matched. They did not. One was an older pair with a squared toe and a 3 inch heel. The other was newer, with a pointy toe and a 2.5 inch heel and a BUCKLE! I wore my Christmas socks that day and yes, there is photographic proof of this one!

Why didn't I feel the difference in the heel height? Because the shoe with the taller heel was on my shorter leg! Yep - I'm slightly lopsided, too!

There is NO excuse for type of oversight, even though I freely admit to it!

Jennifer @ Random Ramblings

Julie said...

Real follow through would require your coworker to wear the same mis-matched shoes on a different day. That would have totally proved the point that it was intentional.

Chris said...

This story is all that much better when you know who the subject is. Ah, memories. Thanks, writer.