Monday, March 9, 2009

I May Be Laid Off, But I Draw The Line Before 'Crazy Cat Lady,' Thankyouverymuch

Yesterday I got home to find that my boss had sent a card to my house that basically said, "Sorry I laid you off. I will pray for you." I am paraphrasing, but that was the gist. On the cover of the card was an old lady sitting in a chair with a cat on her lap, staring out the window. 

I get that she wanted to express her sympathy, and that for her, praying might be the only thing she knows how to do well (because she certainly doesn't know how to manage well). But I do not want her praying for me, I want her to value my position enough not to cut it in the first place.

And also, maybe the old lady card was reproduction "art," but hello! Could you be more insulting? All I could think while looking at it was that I am going to be jobless and penniless, sadly staring out my bleak window with nothing but a cat and maybe a can of sardines to keep me going.

6 comments:

Mickey said...

Speechless.

shelleycoughlin said...

Sigh.

Meaghan said...

It seems your boss' ability to manage and ability to show sympathy are both on the same level...

daria said...

Wow... I'm sorry. But I doubt you'll be a sad cat lady looking forlornly out the window; things surely will work out for you, in a way where you won't have to suffer with praying boss's bad managing. Good luck!

Allie said...

Wow. That's sure is a gesture of something.

Julie said...

No worries. Crazy Cat Ladies have many, many cats, so it would never be nothing but "a" cat.

Oh.

That doesn't help?

Sorry.